I received my BA in psychology at Knox College and my PhD from the University of Maine. I'm a social psychologist, but I've also got interests in personality and in the history of psychology. My scholarly research began with the study of physique stereotypes, meandered around a bit, and finally settled on the topic of authoritarianism. My most recent research has been on trust games, but I haven't published anything on that yet. I've taught at the University of Maine, Oregon State University, and Southwest Minnesota State University. In my spare time I play chess, and I have a USCF tournament rating of 1805.
- Interpersonal Processes
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Political Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Butler, J. C. (2013). Authoritarianism and fear responses to pictures: The role of social differences. International Journal of Psychology, 48, 18-24.
- Butler, J. C. (2009). Authoritarianism and fear of deviance. North American Journal of Psychology, 11, 49-62.
- Butler, J. C. (2000). Personality and emotional correlates of right-wing authoritarianism. Social Behavior and Personality, 28, 1-14.
- Butler, J. C. (1997). Factor analysis of physique-stereotyped traits. Journal of Social Psychology, 137, 392-394.
- Butler, J. C., Doherty, M. S., & Potter, R. M. (2007). Social antecedents and consequences of interpersonal rejection sensitivity. Personality and Individual Differences, 43, 1376-1385.
- Butler, J. C., & Ryckman, R. M. (1993). Perceived and ideal physiques in male and female university students. Journal of Social Psychology, 133, 751-752.
- Butler, J. C., Ryckman, R. M., Thornton, B., & Bouchard, R. L. (1993). Assessment of the full content of physique stereotypes with a free-response format. Journal of Social Psychology, 133, 147-162.
- Ryckman, R. M., Butler, J. C., Thornton, B., & Lindner, M. A. (1997). Assessment of physique subtype stereotypes. Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs, 123, 101-128.
- Ryckman, R. M., Thornton, B., & Butler, J. C. (1994). Personality correlates of the Hypercompetitive Attitude Scale: Validity tests of Horney's theory of neurosis. Journal of Personality Assessment, 62, 84-94.
- Wookey, M. L., Graves, N. A., & Butler, J. C. (2009). Effects of a sexy appearance on perceived competence of women. Journal of Social Psychology, 149, 116-118.
- Attitudes and Persuasion
- General Psychology
- Group Dynamics
- History and Systems of Psychology
- Research Methods
- Social Psychology
J. Corey Butler
Department of Social Science
Southwest Minnesota State University
Marshall, Minnesota 56258
- Phone: (507) 537-6081